|A mood shows the writer’s attitude toward what he/she is saying.|
Indicative Mood states an actuality or fact.
Imperative Mood makes a request.
- We will go to see a movie this Sunday.
- I’ll follow you.
Subjunctive Mood expresses a doubtful condition (contrary to fact) and is often used with an "if" clause.
- Let’s go to see a movie this weekend!
- Please stop bugging me!
The following verbs often attract the subjunctive mood: ask, recommend, suggest, wish, insist, order, commend, request, and demand.A verb in the subjunctive mood may have a different form. The subjunctive for the present tense third-person singular drops the s or es so that it looks and sounds like the present tense for everything else. In the subjunctive mood, the verb to be is be in the present tense and were in the past tense, regardless of what the subject is.
- If I were you, I wouldn’t buy a house.
- I wish I were more organized.
- Incorrect: If I was you, I would take any offer.
- Correct: If I were you, I would take any offer.
(The verb follows ‘if’ and expresses a non-factual condition.)
- Incorrect: I wish I was able to speak English fluently.
- Correct: I wish I were able to speak English fluently.
(The second verb is in a clause following a verb expressing a wish. It suggests a non-factual or doubtful condition.)
- Incorrect: Our suggestion is that everyone on the team does the survey.
- Correct: Our suggestion is that everyone on the team do the survey.
- Incorrect: She recommended that each student takes a note.
- Correct: She recommended that each student take a note.
Write the correct form of the verb given.
1)I insist that Jennifer (finish) her meal.
2)She suggests that the office (be) closed today.
3)If I (be) you, I would win the game.
4)I wish I (can) fly.
Choose the correct sentence from the following.
1)I wish I was able to buy this car.
2)It were recommended that the company closes its foreign offices.
3)If Jack were 17 years old, he would apply for the university.
4)Our manager insists that the group is reorganized.
תסתכל על התשובות
Correct sentences for 1, 2, and 4:
1) I wish I would be able to buy this car
2) It was recommended that the company closed its foreign offices.
4) Our manager insists that the group be reorganized.